Party of Five

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My funny Caleb

So we found ourselves sitting in the orthopedic doctors office this morning. Caleb has once again managed to hurt his arm. We made it 9 years before ever having a broken bone. Now I guess its a yearly deal. Geesh.

Anyway.... on the way to the doctors office Caleb was telling me how he thinks he wants to be a doctor. He says doctors make a lot of money so he is pretty sure that is what he would like to do. He asked how long he would have to go to college and which college. After covering all those logistics, he asked me how much money college costs. I told him it was a lot of money and left it at that. But I emphasized how if he worked hard he could get an academic or athletic scholarship.

After the dr looked at Caleb's arm and determines that its a possible scaphoid fracture, she tells us that the best bet is to wear a splint for two weeks and reexamine before casting. This will save us the inconvenience of casting if its not a true fracture and it will save us the expense of the cast.
After she left the room, Caleb asked me how much a cast cost. I told him it was a lot of money.

After a moment of silence, my big 10 (almost 11 :'( ) year old looks at me and says, "Did you think this through before having 3 kids? Did you realize that college cost a lot of money? Did you know about casts and stuff like that?"
I laughed a bit and said that I knew kids were expensive but that they were worth every penny.

Then he says "I bet you wish you were a doctor"


On the way out of the office, we saw a garbage truck backed up to the building loading dumpsters onto the lift. His eyes lit up and he froze in amazement. He stared as the lift went up over the hood of the truck and dumped  the contents of the dumpsters into the back of the garbage truck. He then looks at me and say "Now THAT is cool. Maybe I want to do that when I grow up!"

And all my hopes of living a comfortable retirement in the basement of my eldest childs mansion floated away....
I love my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment