Party of Five

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I sat here for five minutes trying to think of a title. I've got nothing. My brain is complete mush after the day I've had.
I'll start with the beginning. I'm in the middle of doing a diaper study with Ashley. All this means is that a company provides me with diapers, bags and forms. I use their diapers, put them in the said bags and complete the forms. I return the used diapers 4 different times during this study. The study lasts a total of 16 days. At the end of the study, I make $145. Awesome.
I normally cloth diaper, but sure, you can pay me to use your diapers. I'm okay with that.

Anyway... I had to return some diapers today. In typical Murphy's Law fashion, after I had dropped the diapers, Ashley had a complete blow out. This blow out left me gasping for air and considering throwing everything touching her in the garbage. However, I needed that diaper. I sat in this parking lot for about 10 minutes trying to decide what to do. All the while, Faith had her head hanging out the back window gagging.

It finally came to me. I had two airline barf bags in my glove box. (LOVE having a sister in law who works for Delta!) So I passed Faith one of the bags and told her that if she was going to throw up, get it into that bag. And I set to work with the diaper.
I don't know how much money the people who have to deal with the diapers make, but it isn't enough. I however, earned my $145 with this one diaper change.
Once all was cleaned up, the dirty diaper went into the barf bag and into my glove box. That's right. We drove home with this horrendous diaper that really should have earned its own spot at the county landfill, in the glove box. My insurance papers will never be the same.

With this experience behind us, I moved on with the day. On the agenda for this afternoon was a trip to the doctors for Caleb. He's been having some pain in an area that I know absolutely nothing about, his testicles. Now this is an entire post in itself but I will say that all is fine and he's okay. We'll leave it at that for now. But before we reached this conclusion, we had to see the pediatrician who ordered an ultrasound on his goods. Off to the hospital we went. Luckily, Faith was with a friend. This was an experience that I do believe would have started her much needed therapy years earlier than planned.

Back tracking just a bit....
When Faith has her echocardiograms on her heart, they do all sorts of things to keep her attention focused on the task of being still. One of the "tricks" is they always promise her that she can fingerpaint in the gel on her chest when they are done with the test.

Back to today. Caleb was laying on this table, pants off and towel laying over what is supposed to be a sacred area. This incredibly sweet, older woman was doing everything in her power to make him comfortable and not scared. She was amazing. She lathered him up really good with the gel and then he says.....
 "When you're all done, can I finger paint?"
I was all out of energy to explain about my middle child with heart disease, echos and all the above. I just kind of stood there and she looked utterly confused and horrified. She simply answered with "Probably not." and then moved on to other issues at hand.
Lovely.

The best news from today came after hours and hours of smelling this awful smell, making the kids check their shoes, checking the van and even looking at the van tires only to realize that the smell was me. I had poop on my knee. Most likely elsewhere too. 

Best. Day. Ever.

Wine time.

No comments:

Post a Comment