Party of Five

Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11th

So earlier, my often air headed 10 year old asks me "Mom, why is everyone making such a big deal about 9-11?" I respond by telling him that its a huge deal. I told him that almost 3,000 people died that day. And I tell him how America was forever changed by these unspeakable acts of terroism. I explain that so many people were forever affected and so many lives were changed all because of this one moment in time.
He looks at me and says "I know all of this, Mom. What I don't understand is why everyone is making a big deal out of it now. Don't people think about this every single day? It seems like we are celebrating something bad that happened and maybe we should do things every day to honor the people who died and show respect to the people who went through so much. It just doesn't seem to make sense to only make a big deal out of it once a year or once every ten years."

Not so air headed.

He actually made me speechless.

Ten years ago, Jamie and I had just moved to California. We had just settled in our tiny, comfortable apartment and were a very happy family of three. Caleb was just over 4 months old. A lot has happened in ten years.
Of all the changes that we've seen personally, the biggest is that 4 month old. He's becoming quite the young man. I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment